Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September 14, 2009 First Back Workout

Your first back workout after a layoff is always a physical and psychological killer. I usually start off with pull-ups and this workout was no exception. Here's the psychological part I was referring to: If you're used to completing four sets of 12 - 15 reps and suddenly your rep count is drastically reduced it makes you realize very quickly how fast you've fallen in strength and endurance.

Well I gave it a shot and here are the results: Set #1 - 12 reps, set #2 - 10 reps, set #3 - 6 reps, and set #4 - 5 reps for a total of 36 repetitions for the four sets. Not bad, but you can see from the total there was a drop off of about 15 total reps over the four sets from my peak form. This exercise fatigues your arms and lats very quickly (especially so if you're not used to the exercise) and always has me reeling once completed. Next I did lat pulldowns in front with 120 lbs. for three sets followed by lat pulls, one arm rows, and hyper extensions. I did more than go through the motions, but I battled muscle fatigue and very short wind. The workout lasted 45 minutes and I kept reminding myself that it won't be that long until the day returns when I could fire out the reps and sets and feel like I am flying through the workout like a hot knife through butter. But right now that day seems far off...