Friday, September 11, 2009

Day Number One Of Bodybuilding Comeback

My name is Harvey Reich and I'm currently 49 years old. I've been bodybuilding (on and off since age 30) for 35 years. The last time I devoted myself to the sport was 2005 when I last entered and won a contest, Natural Masters Illinois. I was 45 years old then. At that age I performed squats with 275 x 15 for multiple sets and I was also able to do pullups for 15 reps per set. I'm quite proud of those lifts. I still did supersets, giant sets, etc. and I was able to get into the best shape of my life culminating with the aforementioned title.  Subsequently, I started Unique Fitness Concepts (a fitness equipment supply company) and my energies have been fully devoted to the company. As a result my hard fought gains slowly faded with sporadic training over the past few years. I want to make a comeback and again win a masters title at age 50. This will be a daily journal of my quest to accomplish that goal.

DAY 1:  Worked chest today. I am coming off a shoulder injury which I occured while bench pressing back in May. I've rested since then (4 months) and today is the day! I started my chest workout with bench presses 135 x 12 (2), 155 x 12 (2) and 145 x 12. Shoulder felt pressure during the set but no pain. Hopefully it has healed. I was up to 225 x 8, but I must ease back into the routine so I don't re-injure my shoulder. Next I did three sets of dumbbell incline presses 60's x 10 (2) and 55's x 10.  I usually do barbell presses but the bench was well occupied and I didn't want to wait around or do another exercise instead. I finished chest off with dumbbell flyes 45's x 8 (3). My pecs were VERY fatigued early on but I pushed through ok. I finished with three sets of leg raises for abs, 60 reps total. At this stage I don't have great intensity but I think that will return in time with consistency of my workouts.