Sunday, September 27, 2009

Arm Workout Difficult in Comeback

Considering that the biceps and triceps are such small muscles, I had a feeling that fatigue would become an issue as I trained them for the first time in quite a while. I considered performing super sets but considering the difficulty of the routine even when I was in shape I quickly nixed the idea.

I started of with standing barbell curls for biceps. After two warm-up sets I quickly went into the first working set with 85 lbs for 12 reps. This is about 20 lbs. less than I usually use but considering the 4 month layoff that weight seemed about right. The weight actually felt a bit easier than I thought it would be but after 12 reps I started feeling fatigue creeping in. I completed three more sets with only five reps on the last set. I didn't fare much better with seated dumbbell curls as I fell to only four reps for the last set of these. I completed biceps training with three sets of concentration curls and a set of very tired biceps.

For me triceps fatigue usually sets in faster than biceps, so I know I wouldn't have much endurance for this first triceps workout. I did 12 sets total of press downs, long pulls, and one arm extensions. As I thought the tri's were tired and burning after only a few sets. I completed 12 sets total as I did want to get some endurance for future workouts. I finished the workout with four sets of seated forearm curls.

I knew I'd have some extremely sore arms for the next few days, but that is a good thing as I can memorize what parts of my arm muscles were sore and use that to aid in focus and concentration for future workouts.


For the widest selection of specially marked fitness specials and more great content check out Unique Fitness Concepts