Friday, October 2, 2009

Working Legs After a Layoff

Legs are often the most neglected area for bodybuilding today. Novice,intermediate and even some advanced lifters often spend a great deal of their time and energy on the "flashier" muscles like chest and arms while back and legs are ignored. This is a poor choice as strong, well-developed legs are the foundation for your physique. You'll gain in strength and mass much faster if you are working your legs especially with squats as the "king" of all exercises with its aerobic and overall mass benefits.

With all of the benefits of leg work in mind I went to the gym resigned to the fact of the self-inflicted torture I'll soon be facing by doing squats. As it turned out I only did two sets, 135 x 12 and 185 x 15 due to the cramping I had in my hamstrings. It's interesting how in a relatively short time how your body so quickly loses it's edge for working out and especially squatting. Well after the soreness wears off from this workout I look forward to the next round of squats and I'm anxious to see my progress in strength and endurance.