Monday, January 18, 2010

Proper Tanning Technique for Bodybuilding Competition Success


Don't ever underestimate the importance of a proper stage "tan" for a bodybuilding competition. Stage lights are extremely bright and if your tan is not up to par by being to light you will look washed out and flat. All that hard work you've put in for your physique will be undetectable under the unforgiving bright stage lights.

This exact problem occurred at my first competition. I put on one coat of sudden tan and called it a day. I did have a nice healthy looking bronzed instant tan which I thought would be adequate for the contest. I couldn't have been more wrong. When I arrived at the competition I couldn't believe how dark some of competitors were. They were nearly black with a base tan and 6 - 8 coats of bodybuilding instant tan. I though they were grossly overdoing it but when they walked out on stage I realized that I was the one who was wrong and severely lacking in the tan category. I finished out of the money in my division even though I had the most developed and cut physique on stage. But if nobody including the judges could see my ripped physique what good did it do me? By being "undertanned" it also gave the judges the impression that I was a novice and was ill prepared, and the results showed that. This was confirmed when I saw the video from the competition. I was so washed out that you could hardly see any muscular definition.

I learned a valuable lesson that day in stage presence. A bodybuilding competition is more than gym work and diet. You must know how to present yourself properly on stage with proper attention given to posing and tanning. If you don't know how to show your physique in the best light you will lose. Posing is another topic altogether and will be addressed in a separate post. This issue at hand today is to address proper tanning. After talking to some of my competitors I finally understood the methodology of proper tanning preparation. A solid sun based tan plus 6 - 8 coats of a bottle tan will do the trick. Regarding the base tan, I never even considered a tanning bed for this as the potential skin cancer risks far outweigh the short term benefits. For the instant tan preparation, research the available products and ask your fellow bodybuilders for their input as well. Prepare by starting the instant tan process 2 - 3 days before the competition. In total you should put on 6 - 8 coats. Remember to shower off the excess after each coat has been allowed to dry. Apply the last coat the day of the competition and do not shower after that cost has been applied. Make sure that each coat is applied evenly across your body. Make a point of not applying too much tanning solution to your body's crevices such as knees and elbows as they can appear too dark. If your tanning preparation is done properly that hard earned definition will shine through the harsh lights and will be evident for all to enjoy in the auditorium.