Thursday, December 17, 2009

Keeping a Journal of Your Workouts


Keep a daily journal of your workouts. Include the exercises you perform as well as sets, reps, and how you feel throughout the workout. There is no better way to analyze your routine and keep tabs of your progress and sticking points.

When I started lifting I kept an extremely detailed journal of my workouts (sets and reps), diet (caloric, protein, carb and fat intake), and body weight and measurements. I was so excited to see almost weekly progress in my strength and size. This more than anything gave me the incentive to push myself above and beyond what I thought I could do. This was because I KNEW, and had actual physical proof of my progress. I learned that there was a direct correlation between the hard work I put in at the gym and my new found growth. I also learned to vary my routine when I analyzed my results and I saw that I was doing the same exercises for too long of a time period. I also had documented proof as to what worked and what did not when I tried a new exercise or varied an old one.

Keeping a weight training journal may sound a bit tedious to you but I am convinced that there is no better way for keeping close tabs on the entire bodybuilding lifestyle if you are a serious trainer.